11.24.2010

Some Assembly Required.


Well everyone, it is officially that time of the year. The cold snap has finally come. The sales are outrageous. People are busting out their fat pants. The holidays are here. This year will hold a lot of firsts for me. For the very first time in my life, I bought my own turkey, and will be cooking it in my very own oven, while my mother teaches me how to not mess up Thanksgiving dinner. She and I have been making plans all week, and we are going to have dinner together. As a family tradition, we always set up the Christmas tree while mom cooks. We bust out the endless Ziploc containers of ornaments, and we decorate the tree with decorations older than I am. We listen to Christmas music, and we all get along. Mom cooks. Thats how it always was.

This year is different, because the tables are turned, and my mom is going to enjoy watching me cook. Of course she will be helping with almost everything, due to the fact that I am a noob, and if I did it all alone I could very well set the house on fire. This year is also different because instead of decorating with my brothers, I am decorating with a new addition to my family of friends, Aaron and Alyssa. Aaron and I pulled every single branch of the tree apart, and put every branch in the tree. Alyssa helped with adding the lights. I put the brand new ornaments on the tree, and enjoyed what is my new family tradition. Here is my Christmas tree, the night before Thanksgiving. So i can show my mom my thanks for everything that she done for me, and I can cook for her. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I still remember the first Thanksgiving I got to cook for my family. It has been several years now, and I've cooked several more turkeys... but the first one is special. It is that "passing of the torch" from mom to daughter. The tradition changes, but somehow stays intact.
    I'm sure your mom is very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete