3.31.2016

Guardian Angel.



This is a very special session that I had with one of my good friends Lelan. I met him in high school when we were on varsity swim but ended up taking very different paths in life so we ventured away from each other, and if you were to ask me now how we crossed over each other again I couldnt tell you why. We started talking again just after I had turned 21. Lelan had a pool at his dad's house and it was my first summer I was able to drink so we got our swim and drink on in his backyard on the reg. Lelan's dad Kevin was usually home and always cracking jokes with us. He adored that I was able to keep up with his sass, but was unable to handle that I was not a fan of beer. One night when I came over to grub on the ever popular dinner choice of pizza, Kevin pulled a cold Foster's beer out of the fridge and assured me that this would be the beer that would change my mind. Of course he wasn't wrong and got a good laugh out of proving that my protests of his claim to be true were incorrect. After than, he always had Foster's for me. I spent so much time with Kevin and got to see how full of love he was. When he became a grandpa for the first time, he was so proud to be able to show off his grandson at every opportunity. When I thought he couldn't love any more, he proved me wrong. 

I will never forget the drop in my stomach when I found out he had passed away with no warning before Christmas in 2013. Lelan and his girlfriend Robbin met shortly before Kevin passed, so he was able to meet the lady to later steal his sons heart. Lelan came to me when they found out Robbin was pregnant and wanted me to do the announcement photos for them. He was so out of this world excited to be a dad. One of the first things he said was that he wanted to be as great as a father as his dad was because he wanted to make him proud. Lelan isnt the one who makes suggestions on idea for pictures, he is always happy to just do as he is told, which is what surprised me when he came to me with an idea for pictures with Skylar as her due date approached. It meant so much to him to be able to have a picture with Kevin and Skylar. Kevin wasnt able to meet his granddaughter in person but she will forever feel him with her in the people that he touched while he was here. Lelan was able to find me a few pictures of Kevin that would work for his idea and the final shot is even better than I had seen in my head. 

Lelan, thank you so much for picking me to create this moment for you. I dont often get the opportunity to create such special moments, Im usually just capturing them. I love that you came to me with the idea and that we were able to get what you were hoping for. I am so excited to watch you be just as amazing of a father as dad was. I see so much of his love in you as you work to provide for you family and friends in any way and any time that you are asked in the same way that dad did. Know that dad is always around, most likely getting a good laugh at your expense, but still guiding you as you raise Skylar. I know how much you wish that he could have been here to meet her but I know that you will be able to tell her such amazing stories about the wonderful man he was so that she can know him through you. Dad is proud of all the great things you are doing with yourself. Keep it up.
Enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment